Summer 21 News release:
‘New group launched to support implementation of Social Housing White Paper’
Experts from across sectors were brought together to be part of a new Expert Challenge Panel that will provide scrutiny of government plans as we deliver the Social Housing White Paper.
The Social Housing White Paper outlined a wide-ranging package of reform, addressing safety concerns, complaints, professionalisation of housing staff and the need for enhanced regulation of the social housing sector. We want the impact of these changes to be long-lasting and deliver meaningful change across social housing, rebalancing the relationship between resident and landlord.
As outlined in the Social Housing White Paper, every social housing resident should be able to expect:
- To be safe in your home.
- To know how your landlord is performing.
- To have your complaints dealt with promptly and fairly.
- To be treated with respect.
- To have your voice heard by your landlord.
- To have a good quality home and neighbourhood to live in.
- To be supported to take your first step to ownership.
Hearing regularly from the Panel will help us meet these ambitions. Government will continue to listen, with the Expert Challenge Panel being one of the ways in which we will achieve this.
Quote from Eddie Hughes, Minister for Social Housing and Rough Sleeping:
“This group is an important part of making sure we deliver on what we promised, bringing together experts who will scrutinise our plans and help us to ensure we achieve the vision set out in the Charter. I’m committed to delivering the Social Housing White Paper in full, and to making that we continue to seek and welcome challenge from people across the sector.”
Membership of the Expert Challenge Panel:
- Chartered Institute for Housing
- Collaborative Centre for Housing Evidence
- Communities that Work
- Confederation of Co-operative Housing
- De Montfort University
- Local Government Association
- National Federation of Tenant Management Organisations
- National Housing Federation
- Social Value Lab
- Standing Together Against Domestic Abuse
- TAROE Trust
View the UK Gov announcement on the Expert Panel